The software can be configured to use integrated security so that users are prompted to enter their Windows password each time they log into the software.
A database setting is required to enable integrated security.
How the set up works?
These are the steps to follow:
- The software establishes a connection to the database using a SQL Server login
- The SQL login credentials are stored encrypted in the user's registry
- When a user opens the software they are presented with their current username and prompted to enter their windows password
- Using the Windows API the password is authenticated
- Based on the current user's "Windows user name" they are matched to a user record in the database
Configuring the database connection
First, configure the SQL login:
- Install the software
- Run the software
When the software is run for the first time on a machine, the connect dialogue appears.
- Enter the Server name and Database
This can be a on premise server or Azure SQL server.
- Accept the default values for the User name and password
- Click "Test"
The software will report "Test succeeded" and the connection settings are saved.
- Run the software
- Enter your Windows password
Assuming the database is configured for integrated security each user be prompted for their Windows password when logging on.
- When using integrated security a user must match with an active user of the database
- A user will not be able to login automatically, however, this articles explains how to add a user login to the database: https://exalt.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/219380457-How-does-a-user-automatically-log-into-the-software-
- If you need to change the connection details , click SHIFT while clicking the Insol 6 shortcut and click "Connect to database" or "Other DB".
- Your IT support may will need to provide you with the correct SQL Server name and Database name to connect to the database. Your IT support can automate the setting of the server name and database name
- You can automate the connection
- For further information see: https://exalt.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/220948747-How-do-I-ensure-the-SQL-Insol2Users-login-is-set-up-correctly-Login-failed-for-user-Insol2users-
If you hold down the shift key when clicking test, you can inspect the connection string and chose whether to proceed with test or cancel.
Click the Provider label to view the connection string
Invalid user name
If your user name is not valid you cannot login, and a blank login dialogue appears.
Check with your administrator to ensure you have a valid user configured.
Automating the connection process
Ask support about automating the connection process. You may distribute either a Connect.UDL or a Connect.txt file to the application directory, which will pre-populate the server name and database name.